Lihue Plantation had a mill on this site from 1849 until the plantation closed in 2000. The original mill was water-powered and operated by Chinese management and staff. In 1870 the original Chinese-built grinding rollers were replaced by mill equipment manufactured in Scotland. In 1934, Lihue purchased the Makee Plantation In in Kealia. The Lihue mill was then expanded to the configuration in this photo with equipment from the Makee mill. By then, the Lihue mill was powered primarily by cane biowaste (bagasse) and electricity from two hydro plants.