This house was built about 1920 on the beach at Hanalei. In 1937, Kenichi Tasaka rolled it on coconut trunks to this location over a mile away on the south (mauka) side of Kuhio Highway. The lily pond was created by Chock Chin before the Tasaka's took over the lease on the property owned by the Wilcox estate. Kenichi made many improvements to the spring-fed pond and surrounding gardens, creating one of the most beautiful views in Hanalei.
A few years after this photo was made, the State improved the drainage system along Kuhio Highway fronting the Tasaka's--lowering the water table and drying up the pond.