Kilauea School, 1976

Kilauea School, 1976

Regular price
$190.00
Sale price
$190.00
Regular price
Sold out
Unit price
per 

Founded in 1882 by the Kingdom of Hawaii as an "English Standard" school, the Kilauea students went to class in the old Koolau Hui'ia church several miles east of town. In 1894 the Republic of Hawaii Board of Education built a two-room schoolhouse and teachers cottage on land donated by the plantation in Kalihiwai--a few miles west of the school's present location. In 1922, to serve the growing sugar plantation community, the County of Kauai built a new school on its current site at the edge of town . The National Register of Historic Places listed the building in this photo and two others on the Kilauea campus as Historically Significant.